64-bit Oracle on Solaris 7 !

From: Damir DELAS <damir.delas_at_clariden.ch>
Date: 14 May 1999 09:56:55 GMT

Hi there,

we are planning to install Oracle Enterpr. Ed. 7.3.4.3 or even Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris 7. Both Oracle releases have been (or sonn will be) certified for Solaris 7.

Our Unix server is an Ultra Enterprise 6500 with 8GB of RAM recently running with Solaris 7. Solaris 7 is an 64 bit OS, and is capable of adressing virtual memory up to 2^64.

We would like to use 7GB out of availible 8GB of memory as Oracle shared memory (SGA). This means that Oracle must be able to use 64 bit memory addressing.

Could anybody answer the following question(s) :

 How do we get this 64-bit capability with Oracle ?

 Does Oracle install itself as 64 bit application, if it notices that the underlying OS  is a 64-bit OS, or is there an extra release/patch/add-on for 64 bit Oracle ?

Please, answer to my e-mail address too.

Thanks in advance.
--
damir.delas_at_clariden.ch Received on Fri May 14 1999 - 04:56:55 CDT