Oracle/Linux executables with 0-suffix

From: Sam Jordan <sjo_at_spin.ch>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:17:11 +0000

Hi

Some time ago I downloaded the free Oracle version for Linux from technet.oracle.com for evaluation. Now we have ordered the software from Oracle and have got the commercial software.

I noticed that in the free version there are two versions of most executables, one with and one without 0-suffix (i.e. 'oracle' and 'oracle0'. In the commercial version there are only executables without 'suffix' but the file sizes correspond to the executables in the free version *with* suffix.

One consequence of all this is, that the Oracle archive file on technet.oracle.com could be about twice as small as it is now, because most of these huge executables are present twice. BTW, am I the only one which thinks that the Oracle executables could be massively smaller, if they didn't use static linking too often? (A lot of executables are 3.6MB +- 200KB).

But now I wonder what's the difference between the executables of the free version and the ones of the commercial version?

bye
--
Sam Jordan Received on Fri May 14 1999 - 03:17:11 CDT