Re: Alert Log Warnings

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 19:04:08 GMT

On Thu, 13 May 1999 10:03:22 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>Hi Chris,
>
>Anyone seen this before? Yeah, sure!
>This means all logs need archiving at the same time. There are two reasons
>for this happen:
>either there is a 'burst' of transaction volume
>or the archive log disk is full, and Oracle can't archive any log
>In the latter case you can archive a log manually to a different
>destination. Usually, the problem is a combination of the two problems
>together. When I need to create a database I usually start off with groups,
>with members of 5M, and I make them bigger when Oracle starts generating the
>messages below. Please note: when this happens the system will hang until
>the condition is resolved. It is not slowing down, apparently still
>something happens that resolves the current situation.
>
>Hth,
>
>Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Hmm, Sybrand

I think you've read the original post too quickly.

>>Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 14752
>>Checkpoint not complete

The first line of this two messages is the indication of the problem, while the second one describes the cause. In this case the problem has nothing to do with the archiving - if it were the second message would say something like "all log files need to be archived". The "Checkpoint not complete" messages however do happily apear also in the databases that operate in noarchivelog mode.

The problem here is that *checkpointing* of the database files doesn't complete fast enough, it can't cope with the frequency of log switches.

The sollution coul be one (or the combination) of the following: - enlarging log files
- incrementing the number of the log groups (incrementing the number of memebers per group as recomended by Julio won't help) - starting CKPT process if it is not allready started - forcing checkpointing between log switches (look at the parameters LOG_CHECKPOINT_INTERVAL, LOG_CHECKPOINT_TIMEOUT). Regards,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Thu May 13 1999 - 14:04:08 CDT