/etc/oratab and standby databases

From: Tom La Porte <tlaporte_at_.>
Date: 13 May 1999 15:47:18 GMT

I've been setting up a standby database for one of our production databases, and everything is working fine from the standby perspective. I'm now trying to work out the proper method for ensuring that the standby database is started up properly (i.e. as a standby database, and not opened as a regular database) if/when the server is rebooted.

I thought of adding an entry in /etc/oratab, using an 'S' in the third field, rather than the standard 'Y|N' value that would normally go there. If I do that, I could either modify $ORACLE_HOME/bin/{dbshut,dbstart} to accommodate the new entry, or I could leave those unmodified and write my own startup/shutdown scripts for the standby database. I just wonder if I might be setting myself up for problems down the line by making non-standard entries in the /etc/oratab file.

The documentation seems silent on the issue, and the Velpuri book (1st ed.) doesn't have too much to say on the actual mechanics of maintaining a standby database.

Thoughts?

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks Feature Animation
tlaporte_at_anim.dreamworks.com Received on Thu May 13 1999 - 10:47:18 CDT