Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Abbot Cooper <cooper_NoSpam_ab_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 11:34:23 -0400

James Petts wrote in message <373ad12d.281832263_at_right.celltech>...
>On Wed, 12 May 1999 09:16:05 -0400, "Abbot Cooper"
><cooper_NoSpam_ab_at_mediaone.net> wrote:
>
>>Why is
>>it that COBOL and Fortran are such minor languages now?
>
>Fortran is most certainly not a minor language in science and
>engineering. It is *by far and away* the most common language
>used for physical and numeric simulation code.
>
>James Petts

Of course it is -- I am not trying to deny that, nor am I denying that COBOL is important in some areas as well. Overall though, in the grand scheme of things, they are both relatively minor. Think of all the business apps, front-ends for db's, games, etc. etc.

High-level mathematics is very useful in some areas, but it does not dominate the computer world in the fashion that it did in the old days. Computing is moving more and more towards "high-level" languages and end-users with little technical understanding of the tool they are using. There will always be a place for low-level languages, but they will become an increasingly small minority as the whole industry expands. This is not to say that they are "bad" or "useless", they are after all what everything is built on (like assembler).

--
Abbot Cooper
cooper_NoSpam_ab_at_mediaone.net
Remove "_NoSpam_" before sending Received on Thu May 13 1999 - 10:34:23 CDT