Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Arvin Meyer <a_at_m.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 10:25:43 -0400

Nuno Souto wrote in message <7hegbe$a0q$1_at_m2.c2.telstra-mm.net.au>...
>Here we go. In a discussion about NT, SQL Server and MS shortcomings, we
>invoke the caching ability of Windows 98 when re-opening Word97.

>Sorry, but opening an application (read: starting it up) in a different OS
>doesn't
>qualify as a valid argument in any way, shape or format as to the
performance
>of said application.

Who said anything at all about reopening, I was running code that opens a new instance of Word, inserts and formats some text. Caching doesn't play any part of it. FWIW, NT4 WS is more configurable than Win98 for tuning performance. NT4 Server is too, but servers need to run other processes to maintain their integrity, so in reality, there is only so much you should do to tune performance on a server. SQL-Server provides an almost unlimited tuning capacity (assuming you have enough memory) in conjunction with NT performance tuning.
---
Arvin Meyer
onsite_at_esinet.net Received on Thu May 13 1999 - 09:25:43 CDT