Re: Question on temporary table?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 11:29:26 +0200

rong_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message <7hceu6$g1q$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...

>I have a question regarding temporary table. On SQL Server, it provides
>the feature of using temporary table. I have a performance issue which
>needs temporary table to solve it.

<snipped>
>I think there
>must be a way on Oracle to deal with the temporary table issue somehow.
>Can any body give me any good suggestion on this issue. Thanks for your
>response.

With all due respect Rita, I think that the number of performance problems on Oracle that requires the use of a temporary table are few and far in between.

The only time I ever had to use temporary tables on Oracle was in a data warehouse environment when adding new data sets to the warehouse. Dealing with large volumes of data in batch, populating and updating complex business models, pivoting data into summary tables, etc.

On the same warehouse, we addressed all the end-user/query related performance problems with "innovative" SQL (what can be done with Oracle SQL is really amazing) and designing the warehouse to meet the user's requirements (as oppose to designing it to meet Kimball's requirements).

Temp tables in SQL-Server is "nice" and provide a "quick-and-dirty" way to solve problems in SQL-Server. I also used it a lot when I did design and development for SQL-Server systems. However, Oracle is no cheap hooker and there are no quick-and-dirty's. :-)

IMHO there could well be other and better solutions in Oracle, than trying to use the SQL-Server temp table concept to address an Oracle performance problem.

regards,
Billy Received on Thu May 13 1999 - 04:29:26 CDT