Re: Rollback segment size

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 08:55:45 +0100

Do you have an optimal size set ?

If so, then what statistics are you getting about 'extends', 'shrinks' and 'wraps'.

If you run one very long transaction per week, then then over a period of a few weeks every rollback will get to a high water mark that matches that transaction, but this does not mean that the rollback segments should all be that large.

Try dropping and rebuilding at (say) 256K, with and optimal of 5Mb, work from there, aiming to pick an extent size where you have about 20 extents in steady state, where an occasional 'large extend' is allowed but regular small fluctuations do not occur.

I agree with SB - unlimited is a bad idea.

--

Jonathan Lewis