Migrating Oracle7.3.2 to Oracle8.0.5

From: George Zachary <georgez_at_tig.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 04:11:42 +1100

Hi,

I have to migrate an Oracle 7.3.2 database from UnixWare 2.1.2 to Oracle 8.0.5 on UnixWare7.1.
The first issue I have is the fact there is no Oracle certification for UnixWare7.1.
8.0.5 is certified on UW 7.0.1 though.
Since the database is quite big (60GB), I would like a different approach rather then
using export/import. The way I think it may work is following the steps:

  1. Install Oracle 7.3.4 binaries on UW 2.1.2
  2. Upgrade Oracle database to 7.3.4
  3. Upgrade the operating system to Unixware7
  4. Use the migration utility to bring the db to 8.0.5

I would like to hear from someone who's gone this path. Or some advice. I'm trying to test the procedure, but I fail during step 2), using the installer and upgrading the
database objects. It starts failing when it tries to bring up the database , even though if I do it
manually I have no problem. I'm wondering if I should use a manual procedure by running
the cat7303, cat7304 and so on rather then relying on the installer.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,
  george Received on Wed May 12 1999 - 12:11:42 CDT