Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: David W. Fenton <dXXXfenton_at_bway.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 02:54:32 GMT

Greg Druian (gdruian_at_europa.com) wrote:
: This is probably all moot--I'm using Access97 now (I'll check the relevant
: newsgroups to assess developers' consensus!), and besides, this thread started
: out as a comparison of SQL Server and Oracle. I'd have to be the first to agree
: that Access (of any flavor) has its limitations, I use it exclusively as a
: front-end to SQL Server and while I make no claims for the sophistication of my
: applications, I will say that their job is to provide data to the AP and AR
: modules of our SQL-based accounting system--and our users are very happy.
: PowerBuilder is surely a vastly more sophisticated development environment than
: Access; Visual Basic offers a much richer set of possibilities for working in a
: Windows environment--but to me these things hardly justify judging Access a
: "disaster." Sorry, but I believe that the analysis of data requirements and the
: ability to design efficient algorithms are substantially more important than
: the development tool that is chosen--assuming of course that you are working
: within the specifications of the tool. So I'm happy that I've been lucky enough
: to have avoided the Disasters of Access95, and I won't embarrass myself further
: by making claims for Access.

No one is claiming that any version of Access except Access95 is a disaster. Access 2 and Access97 are both extremely stable development environments.

I started in Access 2, and picked up my first Access95 project in Fall of '96. I picked up a second one in May '97. By June '97 I was converted to Access97. It was like a breath of fresh air -- a much more productive tool.

dfenton at bway dot net                http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc