Re: replication Oracle

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:56:35 -0700

Here's a note that explains what this parameter is used for:

Article-ID:         <Note:30720.1>
Alias:              PARAMETER:DISTRIBUTED_TRANSACTIONS
Circulation:        PUBLISHED (EXTERNAL)
Folder:             server.Rdbms.Reference.Parameters
Topic:              Standard INIT.ORA Parameters
Platform:           GENERIC  Generic issue
Subject:            PARAMETER: INIT.ORA: DISTRIBUTED_TRANSACTIONS
Creation-Date:      25-AUG-1995 13:25:43
Modified-Date:      11-FEB-1999 13:55:23
Document-Type:      REFERENCE
Skill-Level:        CASUAL
Component:          RDBMS
Attachments:        NONE

Parameter: DISTRIBUTED_TRANSACTIONS

@Identifier:      k2gntx
@Versions:      See <IVERS.DISTRIBUTED_TRANSACTIONS>

 Parameter type:               integer
 Parameter class:              static
 Default value:                operating system-dependent
 Range of values:              0 - TRANSACTIONS
 Related:                       <Parameter:MAX_TRANSACTION_BRANCHES>
                                <Parameter:TRANSACTIONS>

        The maximum number of distributed transactions in which this database

        can concurrently participate. The value of this parameter cannot
        exceed the value of the parameter TRANSACTIONS.

        If network failures are occurring at an abnormally high rate, causing

        many in-doubt transactions, you may want to decrease this parameter's

        value temporarily. This limits the number of concurrent distributed
        transactions, which then reduces the number of in-doubt transactions.

        Thus, the amount of blocked data and possible heuristic decision
        making (because of in-doubt transactions) is reduced.

        If DISTRIBUTED_TRANSACTIONS is set to 0, no distributed transactions
        are allowed for the database. The recoverer (RECO) process also does
        not start when the instance starts up.

>>> Here's the problem for you. Replication requires distributed
transactions, so you MUST set this to a non-zero value.

HTH Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Pete Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
Project Manager                           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
Oracle Corporation

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA