Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Arvin Meyer <a_at_m.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:33:41 -0400

Stilian Elenkov wrote in message <3739D76F.D05B2874_at_vtls.com>...

>NT WKS takes 16M min. Word takes another 10M on a good day. You figure
>out the amount of swapping.
>There is no way it runs OK (sit while doing nothing maybe).
>I have Word running (as I write this) on a dual PII 400 WKS with 256M
>and UW SCSI drives and when running multiple other apps (Delphi C/S,
>TOAD, OEM, Netscape, ReflectionsX, etc. Word consumes vast amounts of
>CPU and causes swapping even though there is plenty of free memory. And
>this is with FindFast removed. Before that it would bring the machine to
>it knees.
>A guess we have different definitions of "almost instant".

I have virtually the same hardware as you do except I only have a single PII processor. Right now I'm running Win98, and have all kinds of memory hogs open. (Outlook, Outlook Express, Access 2.0, Access 97, and a Creative Live PlayCenter running "Dixie Chicks") and when I click on Word in Win Explorer, it opens almost faster than I can get my hands back to the keyboard. Maybe it's Netscape <g> or at least one of your other programs giving you the grief.
---
Arvin Meyer
onsite_at_esinet.net Received on Wed May 12 1999 - 16:33:41 CDT