Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Abbot Cooper <cooper_NoSpam_ab_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 13:55:04 -0400

David wrote in message <_bi_2.780$i4.68153_at_alfalfa.thegrid.net>...

>The Devil is always in the details. And in the comptuer world everything is
>contingent on details. Times have changed and using wholesale
>generalizations across a 30 year span in the computer world is absurd. How
>many 'rules of thumbs' have evaporated into thin air as technology has
>marched forward thus eliminating these things we take for granted.

Yup - you have completely hit the nail on the head. How many days would programmers in the past spend to scrunch 3K of code down into 2K because RAM was more costly than gold? Now this becomes entirely irrelevant (generally irrelevant -- I am sure someone will have some exception to my statement...) because RAM is now about as costly as dirt. Does it make sense to spend 3 weeks tuning your code to get the last few bytes out of it when RAM is plentiful? Of course it does not make sense, unless you have an overly developed sense of aesthetics. From a strictly business standpoint it is not economically efficient, period.

--
Abbot Cooper
cooper_NoSpam_ab_at_mediaone.net