Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: David <desertfox_at_thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:40:35 -0700

Jim McCusker wrote in message <3739B5F3.CBE02619_at_iname.com>...

>I don't know, I didn't work on it. I do know that the two places I've
>worked (Pratt & Whittney and Xerox) there seemed to always be trouble
>with the exchange servers. My main point was, however, that the
>technology that Microsoft puts out tends to be unpredictable, whether it
>be from bugs or poor design decisions. For instance, try to get a native
>MS-Access combo-box to not be editable (only being able to select items
>from the pull-down). It's not gonna happen. But you can do this with VB
>and VC++. Why? Also, try getting a transparent text box (of any kind) in
>VB.

Try getting a popup with cascading Menus that doesn't have an annoying Security Warning Label under Java 1.1...

We could spend an entire week arguing why this development tool or that doesn't support this or that feature but that really doesn't prove much other than the fact that all languages have a long way to go and that you will just have to live with the limitations of each until that time comes. BTW, you can achieve transparent text boxes in VB using API calls.

>Again, not gonna happen. But the point of this is that, as bad as it
>is from a programmer's perspective, it's worse from a sysadmin, because
>the sysadmin needs to maintain the apps that the programmer writes.

Microsoft tools are considered by many to be the best tools around. As I had stated before, "Microsoft tools are a developer's dream and a Sysadmin's worst nightmare."

David Received on Wed May 12 1999 - 12:40:35 CDT