Re: Truncate changes NEXT allocation?

From: Mark Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 12 May 1999 15:35:01 GMT

Your friend appears to be correct. I tested for this condition on ver 8.0.5 by building a table with a initial and next extent of 8K with a pctincrease of 50 and inserted a bunch of records:

INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT
-------------- -----------

          8192 49152

ORA805> truncate table marktest;

Table truncated.

ORA805> @mark_2
ORA805> select initial_extent, next_extent   2 from sys.dba_tables
  3 where table_name = 'MARKTEST'
  4 /

INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT
-------------- -----------

          8192 8192

Now reload the table and alter it after the load before truncating it. You will display the same next value of 49152 as above

ORA805> alter table marktest storage (next 16k);

Table altered.

ORA805> @mark_2
ORA805> select initial_extent, next_extent   2 from sys.dba_tables
  3 where table_name = 'MARKTEST'
  4 /

INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT
-------------- -----------

          8192 16384

ORA805> truncate table marktest;

Table truncated.

ORA805> @mark_2
ORA805> select initial_extent, next_extent   2 from sys.dba_tables
  3 where table_name = 'MARKTEST'
  4 /

INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT

          8192 8192

I also test this under ver 7.3.3.5 and I got different results. My next after the truncate was 12288. Both of these versions are running under or on Sequent Dynix.

Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au> wrote in article <7hbs95$m8i$2_at_m2.c2.telstra-mm.net.au>...