Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:14:20 -0400

Hi David,

    I think you are ignoring one significant factor in your anticipation of the outcomes of the four ongoing battles you list. Only one of the four is purely a desktop product.

    I agree with you that Microsoft will eventually bury Netscape since it is a desktop product and Microsoft owns the desktop.

    I believe they will not succeed in displacing their competition in the other three areas.

    In the case of NT Vs. Unix the need for large scale systems which commodity products from Intel and Microsoft can't afford to satisfy (please note that both companies are built on the sale of high volume commodity products that can be used out of the box without significant new development).

    In the case of IIS Vs. Unix web servers -- the last time I looked Apache had by far the largest market share and their market share is growing. I do believe that IIS will dominate the low end of the market, but I think that the competition will capture the high end.

    Now as to SQL Server Vs. Oracle. First SQL Server doesn't even run on Unix much less any mainframes, so the high end of the market belongs to Oracle and Microsoft isn't even a contender. Now as to NT. Oracle's penetration of the NT market is growing rapidly at the expense of Microsoft. Last year Oracle's NT business increased 55% and SQL Server only increased 12%. Oracle now has a 46% share of the NT database market and SQL Server has 29.7% It looks like Microsoft is losing both the battle and the war.

regards

Jerry Gitomer

David wrote in message ...
>Donning Asbestos Flame Suite:
>
>Just like all things Microsoft, it is inevitable SQL Server will dominate
>the database market. Just think about it, there hasn't been a market that
>Microsoft hasn't ultimately dominated if given enough time. I remember in
>the early days when there were fierce battles and speculation as to who
>would dominate this market or that. Lets take a look at it:
>
>Microsoft has dominated the following and has left its respective
competitor
>for dead:
>Operating Systems: Windows(DOS) Vs. OS/2
>Word Processors: Word Vs. WordPerfect
>Spreadsheets: Excel Vs. Quattro Pro
>C++ Compilers: MSVC vs. Borland
>Office Suites: MS Office vs. Lotus Suite
>
>Microsoft is currently engaged in the following battles:
>NT vs. Unix
>IIS vs. Unix web servers (apache etc)
>SQL Server vs. Oracle
>Internet Explorer vs. Netscape Navigator

  << BIG SNIP >> Received on Wed May 12 1999 - 08:14:20 CDT