Re: Creating an instance on NT

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 12:49:35 +0200

Steve Jelfs wrote in message <7h9tnp$i6p$1_at_plutonium.btinternet.com>...

> I need to create a new database on an NT4 machine remotely. I only have a
>network connection to the shared drives (oracle directories included).

Hmmm... not possible without having command line or GUI access to the local programs on that server. You at least need to be able to run oradim on the remote NT box to create a new database service.

>Any pointers advice would be appreciated

Ok, if you insists. Here's a valid character pointer. Just make sure you malloc some space for it and free it afterwards. ;-)

char * url()
{
  return( 'http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html' ); }

>ps There are already 2 instances running on the machine

Well, the usual sequence for creating a database on Oracle is:

1) create initOra
2) run oradim to create the instance
3) run server manager and create the database

All these steps requires local access to the NT box.

The above URL is a link to VNC - Virtual Network Computer. Amazing piece of software that runs on Linux, Sun and NT with a Mac beta also available. What it allows you is -full- access to a remote system with a -full- desktop interface (IOW you see that remote NT box's GUI desktop in a local window on your NT box). You can run any program on that remote machine, point and click, access the command lines, etc.

On NT for example you run the VNC server on one machine and then use the VNC client from another to access that NT's machine's desktop. And the NT server and client is less than 180KB each.

There's also a Java client available - which means that you remotely administer any of your machines (Unix/NT) from a browser on any platform.

This is really a great piece of software - available under the GNU license with full source. In some ways it is like X11, but it is stateless with a very thin client. I'm thinking of trying to port it to HP Unix, but that depends on the workload in the office.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed May 12 1999 - 05:49:35 CDT