RAID5 for Oracle 7.3 on NT 4

From: Tony Adolph <tony.adolf_at_viaginterkom.de>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 08:54:51 GMT

Hello All,

I have three questions to ask:

  1. I have a database built on RAID5 arrays. The drive letters for the arrays are not contiguous, i.e. there are two drive letters used for network connections, so the database lives on D: H: and I:. How can I ensure that these letters never get changed?
  2. I am using a Compaq Proliant disk array. How can I view the disk read / write activity. I have tried Performance Monitor but always get a flat line at zero no matter what scale I set. Is there another way, is there something like the unix sar for NT4?
  3. Is it possible to build a stripe set across, say, 3 disks and then mirror these 3 disks to give data protection rather than use RAID5. The reason for the question is that I have read that RAID5 is quite slow for writes and our application is write intensive.

I would appreciate any pointers, so thanks in advance

Tony Adolph

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Wed May 12 1999 - 03:54:51 CDT