Re: NATO THE DEVIL

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:33:01 +0200

Paul Simmons wrote...

>> SQL> SELECT /*+ PARALLEL(w,10000,10000) FTS(w) */
>
>Ok I know that the /* ... */ is a hin but what does it mean ?

A fantasy of mine. A big, fat, wet and messy Oracle fantasy. Have a giant Oracle Parallel Server cluster with a 10,000 nodes, each running an OPS instance. And each node a 100Ghz CPU enabling me to run 10,000 parallel query slaves per node.

This will allow me to run 100,000,000 parallel query slaves in total, doing a full table scan on my world population VFLT (a very er.. flippen large table), containing 6,000,000,000 rows. This means that each PQ needs only to scan 60 rows! Within seconds I can scan the world population for any personal data I want! <mad cackling of laughter> I will be powerful. I will rule the world! I will be an Oracle god!! <glazed expression>

My mad scientist delusions aside though: ;-)

PARALLEL(table, degree, instances) = performs a parallel scan of a table table=tablename or synonym
degree=number of PQ slaves per instance to use instances=number of OPS instances to use (optional parameter - by default this is one for a single Oracle instance using PQ)

FTS(table) = performs a full table scan

Doing full table scans in parallel is still the fastest way to process large volumes of data. And the combination of Oracle PQ and OPS does an excellent job of it.

Ever read Asimov's Foundation series and Seldon's "statistical science" of predicting the future? Just imaging what we can do with a database containing detailed data and profiles on every single person on the planet... :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Wed May 12 1999 - 02:33:01 CDT