Re: NT 4.0 Oracle 7.3.3.0 SQLNet and Firewall

From: Austin Durbin <adurbin_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 04:48:04 GMT

Allow me to take a stab at this one. World class SqlNet and TCP/IP experts can jump in at any time.

It is my understanding that you establish the initial connection via the Listener which passes it off to the database service which in turn fires up a private process for that specific connection. From that point forward, the SqlNet listener is out of the picture and all remaining conversations between the client and the database process would use a port above 2000 (kinda of dynamically assigned).

Of course, your network guys are going to be reluctant to open of ports above 2000 on the firewall. If the remote clients are employees telecomuting, you might explore the possibility of running a VPN. If the remote clients are customers, you might have to explore some type of 'application server' which can handle to communcations with the Oracle database.