Re: Running Oracle on NT

From: Tjoe Tjhao Kuo (Tommy Cusan) <tcusan_at_id.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:11:46 +0700

hi,

Oracle on NT only supports a single ORACLE_HOME directory in Oracle7, though this is likely to change with an Oracle8 release.

When installing multiple releases of Oracle on NT, all the versions will share a single ORACLE_HOME directory structure. Within common directories (e.g. ORACLE_HOME/bin), files from different releases are distinguished by a version number within the file name (e.g. ORACLE72.EXE, ORACLE73.EXE, PLUS72.EXE, PLUS73.EXE, etc.). You cannot distinguish between patch releases (e.g. ORACLE73.EXE from 7.3.2.2 would overlay ORACLE73.EXE from 7.3.2.1). ORACLE_HOME is defined in the registry as:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE/ORACLE_HOME What this means is that all software must be installed to the same ORACLE_HOME. In general, we support having 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3 products all running at the same time in the same ORACLE_HOME, with the following caveats:

UNIX supports multiple ORACLE_HOMEs as well as multiple ORACLE_SIDs, so it is easier to maintain and use multiple versions and SIDs on one machine.

--

Regards,

Tommy Cusan
MIS - DBA Tech. Support

Oracle Indonesia
Sentral Senayan I Office Tower, 9th Floor Jl. Asia Afrika no.8 - Jakarta 10270
Phone : +62 21 572 3222
Fax : +62 21 572 3350 / 60 Received on Tue May 11 1999 - 22:11:46 CDT