Re: SQL server Vs Oracle - Technical/prices issues please

From: <mdlcpgs_at_alpha.gns.cri.nz.nospam>
Date: Wed, 12 May 99 13:44:04 +1200

I don't care much Bill Gates, Microsoft, Oracle, or Larry Ellison. I am very interested in this question on technical/cost grounds.

We are currently Oracle 7.3.4 shop with 3 workgroup servers. 3rd Party vendors (off record) are starting to tell us we should go SQL server. One product ran on many backends but charged a premium for Oracle because of complexity. Looking at SQL Server, we notice some very interesting things.

1/ Price. Licensed differently but about same as Workgroup (slightly more). Oracle Enterprise is nearly 3 times price of workgroup. We are talking about organisation with 200 users and looking for about a 1Tb of data eventually on server. Common access to only about 30Gb of data though.

2/ For that price get 2-way replication between servers. Have to go to Enterprise edition to get that from Oracle.

3/ For that price get full-text indexing. On Oracle, need Context addon and enterprise edition to boot.

Since 2-way replication and full-text indexing are shaping up as major issues the difference in price between Oracle and SQL Server implementations is staggering. I need to write a paper justifying why we should stay with Oracle and I am struggling. We currently have two Oracle-only applications but one is changing to SQL server as well and other has strong alternatives on SQL Server. Mutterings about scalability, stability sound like FUD with hard data. It would appear we are well within the capabilities of NT. How else does Oracle justify the very high cost of Enterprise edition??? Received on Tue May 11 1999 - 20:44:04 CDT