Shutdown question (Newbie)

From: Anthony Valentine <amv_at_sbsalaska.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 23:20:41 +0000

Hello All!

I have a question about the shutdown command (on Oracle 7.3).

I need to be able to shutdown my database at night before I

run our backups, so I need to be able to shutdown even if

someone forgot to log out of SQL+. Typing 'shutdown' will

hang until everybody logs out. I know that using 'shutdown

abort' is an emergency procedure and that I shouldn't use it

routinely, but what about 'shutdown immediate'? Neither of my

oracle books says much at all about the shutdown command.

Maybe I need new books =)

--

Anthony Valentine
Fledgling DBA