Problem w/ Powerbuilder/Oracle interface

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 19:59:56 GMT

 Subject: Problem w/ Powerbuilder/Oracle interface

I am posting this to both Oracle and Powerbuilder related groups.

In our configuration, we have a mix of O7 and O8 databases running on NT4.0 servers. SQLNet client software resides on Novell departmental file servers, and is the version that shipped with O7 – we have not converted SQLNet clients to O8. Win-NT desktops have their Oracle registry settings set referring to the oracle_home directory on the departmental servers.

After a mis-guided attempt by a contractor to install some O8 software on one of the departmental file servers, our Powerbuilder developers have been having problems. When they try to get Powerbuilder to connect to an Oracle db, they get a pop-up that says:

“PB050.EXE unable to locate DLL. The dynamic link library NL80.DLL could not be found in the specified path …”

I know the PB050.exe is a Powerbuilder file, be we also know that NL80.DLL is an Oracle8 file – it is located in the oracle_home\bin directory on one of our servers that was built as a pure Ora8 machine. Our question is what could be causing our developer’s machines to be trying call it? This does not occur on a typical user’s desktop, but from what I can see, the developer’s machines are not configured any differently, since the defining item is the registry settings defining the location of the Oracle files. That is the same for everyone.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Tue May 11 1999 - 14:59:56 CDT