Re: latches: cache buffers chains

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 20:50:38 +0100

You have a good hit ratio, so I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.

One thing to look at is the v$latch_children table for specific latches which individually responsible for misses (see my posts to Ross Mohan on 'an oldie ...'), then track the most expensive latch back to the database block it is protecting.

You can be lucky and change the contention dramatically by changin the number of db block hash buckets so that very commonly used blocks (typically index root blocks) hash to different chains.

Watch out - there are typically db_block_buffers/4 child latches / hash chains.

What is the spin_count ? You can get an idea on how much of your CPU is simply 'lost' in spinning by doubling and halving it, and seeing if this makes any significant difference to the CPU usage and total throughput.

--

Jonathan Lewis