Index ROWID updates when migrating to Oracle8

From: Matt Adams <Matthew.Adams_at_mutualofomaha.com>
Date: 11 May 1999 10:59:53 -0600

The Oracle Migration instructions when going from Oracle 7.3 to Oracle8 suggest taking offline all tablespaces other than SYSTEM and whatever
tablespaces hold rollback segments. If this is done, then obviously the indexes in these offline tablespace cannot be altered during the migration process.

Indexes store ROWIDs associated with each entry. This rowid format changes dramatically in oracle8 (going from 7 bytes to 10).

Questions for the group: How and when do the indexes get updated with the new
ROWIDs after the migration is complete and the tablespaces are brought back online?
 Whenever an index block is read to satisfy a query? Whenever any index entry is altered
and the index block has to be re-written? What is the impact on performance of doing
these updates to the indexes? Can we force an update of the ROWIDs in the indexes
without doing an ALTER INDEX ... REBUILD?

anybody have any opinions (or better yet, facts from Oracle)?

--
Opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by my emplorer. Received on Tue May 11 1999 - 11:59:53 CDT