Re: NameServer on AIX 4/Oracle 7.3.4

From: <evla_at_athylon.be>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:05:32 GMT

Hi,

I had about the same problem on the same machines (I had Oracle Names on a Oracle7.3.2 db running on AIX4.2.1. I did not succeed in upgrading this Oracle7.3.2 Oracle Names Server to 7.3.4 and restarting it.

After several contacts with Oracle Support, we did not find out what the real reason is and I chose to use another solution, viz. adding TNS_ADMIN to all the registries, pointing to a central Fileserver directory. This enables me to deploy every change in the SQL*Net settings very easily, and there is no need for maintaining a double Oracle Names Server database.

Moreover, in 7.3.4 on aix it seems very simple to hang the Oracle Names Server, just address your nameserver port as if it were the listener port on that machine (by using a edited tnsnames.ora file) and the Names Server hangs!

Finally, since we are running a.o. Oracle Applications here, with OEORPC, we had to go back to the 'classic' solution of sqlnet.ora + tnsnames.ora, since OEORPC is not compatible with Oracle Names. (see Oracle Order Entry Transaction Manager Troubleshooting Guide - Release 10SC Production 14

regards,

Erwin Vanlangendonck
OCP - Oracle Database Consultant
Athylon nv