Re: Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition for NT installation problem

From: Rob Edgar <robedgar_at_mersey.com.hk>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 19:41:44 +0800

8i cannot ne installed into the same home directory) as any previous veriosn of Oracle, to that extent yes it is true the two are incompatible.

After you start the unvoversl installer you are prompted to slect the new home so typeint so dont chose defautl_home but create a new one called say ORA8 in C:\ORA8. then go through the typical install, you will be given a chance to say you want to "upgrade" your 805 database then the installer will do everythign else for you.

It is really straight forward except at the end of the day you have two sets of directories and about 600mb of wasted space<g>

Things to watch out for are to make sure that you old listner gets set to manual start, actaully you might as well remove it, and if you have any snapshots or jobs these will be set to manual as job_queue_processes gets disabled for some reason.

You should also note that you "new" initorcl.ora actuall "call" the old one so dont delete the old one thinking its not used anymore<g>.

Now after all that if you get to play with the new COM option I would like to hear from anyone that actually has got this working properly.

Rob