Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: <gcastro1907_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 08:25:54 GMT

In article <7gur6p$csu$1_at_esinet2.esinet.net>,   "Arvin Meyer" <a_at_m.com> wrote:

> Mladen Gogala wrote in message <3732DF47.935C1091_at_earthlink.net>...
> >
> >Your Ford is a cost effective method of driving, provided you don't
have
> >transport 40 tons of steel bars from Pittsburgh to Detroit. Then your
> >Ford
> >isn't as effective as 16 wheel Mack. The conclusion is that you
cannot
> >say
> >what is effective, not even in the driving world, much less in the
> >database
> >world where nuances can make a huge difference. I find oracle to be
> >better
> >fit overall for most of the companies, but that's only my 5c.
>
> That is essentially what I have been saying, albeit indirectly, "the
right
> tool for the job" Sending an infantry battalion to breakup a small
street
> demonstration is not cost effective, and therefore unwarranted. For
the same
> reason, you wouldn't send in a policeman with a water pistol. We do
disagree
> however, in that I see SQL-Server as the more cost effective solution
for
> most companies.
> -----
> Arvin Meyer
> onsite_at_esinet.net

It's incredible!
A user ask for help in databases and we are talking about cars! I am using SQL Server and I am very satisfied with the performance, I know Oracle too and it's very good. But my impression is: The performance depend not only of the hardware and software than the Database Administrator kowledgement to optimize the database.

Both databases are sufficent for the purpose, in that case the price must be consider an important key in the decission.

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Tue May 11 1999 - 03:25:54 CDT