Re: Defragment SYSTEM Tablespace

From: Eugene Firyago <efiryago_at_bisys.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 21:29:25 -0400

If you have pre-8.1.5 (8i) version of Oracle: Bring your database down with normal option. Make full offline database backup (just in case). Start the database up. Make full database dump (export), recreate the database, make full database import from the dump. It works always.

With the Oracle 8.1.5 (8i), as far as I know, there is a possibility to copy tablespace files between two 8i databases using IFS (see docs on 8i). If so, you just need to create new database/instance with only one brand new (originally unfragmented) system tablespace an then copy needed non-system tablespace files from source database to the target one reproducing the source database in full. If you will learn more about it or will be really trying this way please let me know the result.

Good luck,
Eugene.