Re: Oracle-ASP-Access

From: Mathew Ankney <walt-mat_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 16:19:26 -0500

We use MS-Access for extremely small or prototype Asp's. Ideally, Oracle is your best bet. All of our "major" web applications use Oracle - if you can use access or sqlserver, oracle is easier.

In regards to the licensing - 50 would be the maximum concurrent users. Can you check for concurrency on your existing system? We've converted the majority of our applications to ASP using interdev 6.0. We're finding our actual concurrent user count is a LOT lower than estimated. An active server page opens a connection at the start of the page, and closes the connection at the end of the ASP. One of our applications furnishes historical acquisition information to the world. Based on the number of hits we received on the page, we estimated concurrent users at 30. We wrote an self-refreshing ASP that queried the oracle v$session (dynamic performance table) approximately every second. We discovered that we never exceeded 2 users.

I believe however, that crystal reports keeps an ongoing connection. It might be a good idea if at all possible to convert to asp.

Mat

mankney_at_juno.com Received on Mon May 10 1999 - 16:19:26 CDT