Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Ed Stevens <Ed.Stevens_at_nmm.nissan-usa.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:47:27 GMT

So far, of what I've read, your Ford Festiva vs. Mack truck is the closest analogy to being valid. However, if my business is currently delivering brick in 2-ton orders, I only need to buy a 2.5 ton truck, and I will amortize that expense over some period. I'll defer the purchase of the mack truck until I see a need to deliver 40 tons of steel.

All analogies have weaknesess and can only be carried so far. Here we pretend the truck (database?) is an either/or situation. In my example, I can purchase the 40-ton truck when needed, and continue to use the duece for small brick deliveries, and there is no need to consider upgrade costs. Not necessarily the case with databases.

In article <3732DF47.935C1091_at_earthlink.net>,   Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net> wrote:
> Arvin Meyer wrote:
> >
> > A Corvette is NOT a cost effective method of driving. My little
Ford Festiva
> > IS, and does do in excess of 75 when I wish to be ridiculous enough
to drive
> > that fast. Macho assumptions aside, business needs to be cost
effective, not
> > susceptible to the advertising claims of either Microsoft or
Oracle. "Money
> > talks and Bullsh*t walks."
> > -----
> > Arvin Meyer
> > onsite_at_esinet.net
>
> Your Ford is a cost effective method of driving, provided you don't
have
> transport 40 tons of steel bars from Pittsburgh to Detroit. Then your
> Ford
> isn't as effective as 16 wheel Mack. The conclusion is that you cannot
> say
> what is effective, not even in the driving world, much less in the
> database
> world where nuances can make a huge difference. I find oracle to be
> better
> fit overall for most of the companies, but that's only my 5c.
>

> > Darren Brock wrote in message <3731EB17.A733D522_at_governet.net>...

> > cost/benefit
Cosmopolitan.

> > >Lets use your car example. If your job required you to drive at
the speed
> > limit,
> > >say 55, would you buy a car that went only 55mph? If so, what
would you do
> > if
> > >they raised the speed limit to 75 mph? Your car only goes 55 mph.
Do you

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions are not necessarily those of my employer)

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Mon May 10 1999 - 13:47:27 CDT