Re: Differences between Oracle 7.3.3 and 7.3.4 and 7.3.5

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 09:22:03 -0700

Julio

This is a trap that a number of people are starting to fall into. To understand the issue here, you need to understand the support policy. But before I cover that, let me state categorically that ALL versions of Oracle7 are Y2K compliant at the RDBMS level, since Oracle stores dates in an internal format (7 byte integer) that includes the century. If your APPLICATION doesn't display it, that's a different matter. You may have coded an application that is not Y2K compliant, but we can't stop you doing that. ;)

Back to the support policy. Oracle supports particular versions of the RDBMS at any point in time. At the moment, 7.3.4 and all Production versions of 8 are supported (in some cases, 7.3.3 is still supported because 7.3.4 didn't come out on that particular OS). That means that earlier versions are not supported now, nor will they be when the turn of the century occurs, unless you are on an extended support agreement. Hence, while the unsupported releases are Y2K compliant, if you hit a bug in this or any other area, the response from Support will be upgrade to a supported version.

Hope this eases your concerns.

Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Pete Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_us.oracle.com
Project Manager                           Phone: +1.650.607.0109 (int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
Oracle Corporation

SQL> select standard_disclaimer, witty_remark   2 from company_requirements;

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA