DB Block Size-Your Opinions

From: Chakravarthy KM Nalamotu <kittu_at_Hawaii.Edu>
Date: 10 May 1999 15:23:32 GMT

I came across a general recommendation to use 8K blocks for databases that are large. My Definition of large is anything greater than 20 GB.
Wouldn't it be better to use 4K or even 2K blocks if I am sure that a single row of any table in the database will not be more than 4K or 2K?
This way I am not briniging in all the unnecessary rows into the cache. Furthermore, cache has larger number of smaller relevant data blocks.
Your thoughts on this topic are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
  Kittu. Received on Mon May 10 1999 - 10:23:32 CDT