Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Eric Johnson <ej_sawmill_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 14:43:55 GMT

> Planning and development a disadvantage??? Don't be stupid.
 Heaven forbids. And you are actually envolved in enterprise computing!? <shudder>
There you go edit the thread to suit you needs. I can stand the hottest flames but keep them accurate. Also, frankly I'm not Envolved in

anything..........................

> >Oracle dba's in my experience have ego's that are dwarfed only by the consulting pricetag that comes with them. Ah, so there we have it. You have a very specific opinion about Oracle DBAs and then this opinion rubs of on Oracle too...

And this thread clearly demonstrates why, for all this thread knows this Access database has 10 people connected to it and several Oracle dba's have reponded to Ling's initial post with global six figure solutions. We have an Oracle dba on staff and deliver Oracle on both Netware and Vax platforms, we have also very successfully upsized some of our Access databases to MSSql 6.5 without consultant intervention. Tunnel vision gets you no where

>> My guess it is something to do with post traumatic database disorder
after the shock of working with a -real- database like Oracle.

Your right there, that would be the last time we hired an Oracle dba to do some work for us. He took a slow and stable helpdesk package off of Sybase and turned it into a "Real" Oracle nightmare that our staffer dba won't touch. He was also late in closing his contract and wants to paid more to fix the bugs he built for us. Ever heard of screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me???

>>And then more than just a tad of jealously because the industry
recognises the skills of Oracle professional and will pay for it.

Wrong here, I work with a great team of folks and administer the server environment that services 13000 users on NT, Novell and X platforms my job is varied and interesting from day to day. I could never be jealous of someone who derives a daily living from bean counting, then organising there beans into sub-bean catagories. For this I think anyone who subjects themselves to this daily monotony should be well paid. But there is a limit!

>>Unlike the dime o' dozen of these MCP's you get who believes
themselves to be real experts (look at my shiny MCP certificate!) and that the industry should actually pay them more....

Agreed, enough said on that one

Eric

--
That which does not kill us makes us stronger

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.--- Received on Mon May 10 1999 - 09:43:55 CDT