Re: Opinions on SQL Navigator, et al?

From: Jeff Keen <No_Spam_at_For_Me.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 01:16:00 -0400

IMHO: Quest's SQL Navigator is okay, but the interface is kind of cumbersome. Sylvain-Faust's SQL-Programmer is very good, and allows simultaneous connections to Oracle, SQL-Server, and Sybase. I use it at work every day. Platinum's SQL-Station is ridiculously overpriced. TOAD keeps it nice and simple.

But the product to watch is definitely Allround Automation's PL/SQL Developer. They've done a great job, and have TONS of great features. Of particular interest is the code assistant. For example, while editing a procedure, if you type "select * from emp.", as soon as you press the ".", you get a pop-up with all columns from emp! Similar to VB's IDE. None of the others do this. Also of note is the context sensitive help, integrated directly with Oracle's HTML documentation. TRUST ME, IT'S WELL WORTH DOWNLOADING THE TRIAL COPY THAT YOU CAN GET AT ALLROUNDAUTOMATIONS.NL. Note however, that PL/SQL Developer is strictly for writing PL/SQL code (procedures, functions, packages, triggers, etc). You can't create/edit tables, indexes or other non-PL/SQL objects. But if you're a developer of stored procedures, it's the cat's meow.

Jeff.

Jeff Bernstein wrote in message ...
>Greetings:
>
>My company is looking to possibly purchase Quest Software's SQL Navigator.
>Can anyone share any opinions on this product based on actual usage or
>things they've heard about it?
>
>Also, does anyone know of any products that perform the same function as
SQL