Re: Feelings about Oracle on NT Server vs. VAX/VMS

From: Rob Edgar <robedgar_at_mersey.com.hk>
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 11:20:00 +0800

We have 200+ users, 100+ simultaneous.

We have run Oracle on NT for 3 years, first 7.3 then 8 now 8i.

We have a small database, around 5gb.

We had it on what is today a low power machine 2 PentiumPro 180 with 512mb RAM. We moved it recently to a double PII 333 as the machine became free, and we have plans at some point this year/next year to move to a 4 way Xeon, simply to keep ahead of demand growth.

Performance has been great, response times are what we need and we get no complainst from users.It very rarely gets cpu bound. Stability is superb. We have had two crashes in three years and it basically only comes down for an upgrade.

Of course everyone's situation is different but from our view to sum up, it is rock steady and there is plenty of extra power available in the market if you need..... and most of the NT scare stories stem from UNIX administrators<vbg>

Rob