Re: Oracle 8i and tools (Designer etc.)

From: <webmaster_at_edgetech.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 22:12:24 GMT

I cannot help with the Oracle 8 to 8i migration, but I can tell you that we have just purchased both Oracle 8i Enterprise and WebDB and are having a tough time as well.

The reason WebDB will not install into the 8i home is because it uses an 8.0.5 home. Pretty Silly!

You need to simply install it into a different home (i.e. OraWebDB) also because of this, you need to set the tnsnames.ora file shareable by adding the TNS_ADMIN registry entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE ORACLE

String Variable
Name: TNS_ADMIN
Data: Path to tnsnames.ora file within your 8i home (i.e. d:\Ora8ihome\network\admin

This is the info that we got back from Oracle. I still cannot make it install correctly. If you find out how to make it work, please send me an e-mail.