Re: SQL server Vs Oracle

From: Michael Kaplan <former_mvp_at_spamless.trigeminal.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 14:43:34 -0700

Well, one correction.... features are very high on the list since the marketing messages capitalize heavy on the "sexy" features.... occasionally they even do so with bug fixes.... if they can present it in a way that does not make the old product look too awful. But I agree you that the marketing msg is most important, just keep in mind that the "feature" list feeds the marketeers.

Michael

David W. Fenton <dwf1_at_is2.nyu.edu> wrote in message news:ec2Z2.19$Yx3.1147_at_typhoon.nyu.edu...
> Brendan Reynolds (brenreyn_at_indigo.ie) wrote:
> : I think the analogy with the motor industry was
interesting, though. I just
> : don't think the market is at the same point that the
motor industry was at.
> : I think the users want features, and are prepared to put
up with bugs in
> : exchange for features. If two mass-market applications
were released
> : tomorrow, one with lots of features and lots of bugs,
one with very few bugs
> : and very few features, which one would sell?
>
> My guess is that the one with the best marketing program
and the company
> behind it that used the best FUD program. Add in the
inertia present for
> any product that already has an installed base, and
features and bugs end
> up pretty darned far down the list of factors used in
making purchase

http://www.bway.net/~dfenton

http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc Received on Sat May 08 1999 - 16:43:34 CDT