Re: Opinions on SQL Navigator, et al?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 18:36:34 +0200

Hi Jeff,

I assume you talk about Sql navigator 3. I have been working with sql navigator 2 and now with a trial copy of sqlnavigator version 3. Basically it contains everything you need. The pl/sql part is very good and sqlnavigator 3 now also includes an online debugger and pvcs/visual source safe support. There is a new query builder and in your pl/sql code you are able to use coding template. You can extract all your ddl, you can export your data to a file easily etc, etc. The only disadvantage is the user interface, which can be a bit awkward. For some reason I always have 10 windows within in less than 30 minutes. The only other product I know is Toad (recently bought by Quest), if I have to choose between Toad and Navigator, I would choose Navigator. Navigator just has that 5 percent extra that makes life easier. Toad does it's job alright, but it feels less comfortable. I don't know whether Oracle still ships Procedure Builder. If it does then just forget about it or compare it with Horrible (oh sorry, Oracle) Book.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Jeff Bernstein wrote in message ...
>Greetings:
>
>My company is looking to possibly purchase Quest Software's SQL Navigator.
>Can anyone share any opinions on this product based on actual usage or
>things they've heard about it?
>
>Also, does anyone know of any products that perform the same function as
SQL