Oracle8i on Windows 95/98???

From: Prasanna Nagarajan <pnagarajan_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 09:59:54 -0500

I've just received the CD(free copy-OTN) of Oracle8i EE for Windows NT. During setup it is supposed to show(as per the docs) 3 products namely

a)Oracle8i EE
b)Oracle8i Client components ...
c)Oracle8i Programmer components....

But since my machine is windows 98, setup program showed only the last 2 options. My question is
1) Can the database engine can be installed in win95/98? 2) if Database Engine can only be installed on Windows NT, then why in documentations they say something like
>>>Oracle8i Enterprise Edition for Windows NT and Windows 95/98
Installation<<<
and not differentiating the platform in later discussions? 3) Is it implied that in win 95/98 only b) & c) can be installed and all three can be installed in win NT?
4) Since win 95/98 is most commonly used than Windows NT among individual users, why did they come up with giving away free copy to the members? (I realize the fact that it's just a promotion for the product)

I understand that this is not the place for these questions, but i would like to know whether i miss something.

I'd appreciate for the help in advance
Prasanna Received on Sat May 08 1999 - 09:59:54 CDT