Re: Database Link question

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <fen_at_changegroup.dk>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 13:55:28 +0100

Dante,

I'm afraid Sean is right. As taken from the documentation for GLOBAL_NAMES:

GLOBAL_NAMES Default value: FALSE

Range of values: TRUE/FALSE

This parameter determines whether or not a database link is required to have the same name as the database to which it connects. If the value of GLOBAL_NAMES is FALSE, then no check is performed. Oracle recommends setting this parameter to TRUE to ensure the use of consistent naming conventions for databases and links.

If you have GLOBAL_NAMES set to TRUE and you create a database link A for database B you will get the following error when you try to use the link:

ORA-02085 database link name connects to name

Cause: The database link attempted to connect to a database with a different name. The name of the database link must be the same name as the name of the database.

Action: Create a database link with the same name as the database to which it connects.

HTH. Finn

Dante <dnotari_at_my-dejanews.com> wrote in message news:7h11kk$4li$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Sean,
> that is not true.
>
> The name of the DB Link will be resolved in the PUBLIC
> namespace and the DB will use the connect string
> specified in the USING clause or the one specified
> when using the connect string.
>
> GLOBAL NAMES affects only the way the hostnames are
> resolved withing SQL*Net.
>
> You can use as Link name any name you want.
>
> Regards
> Dante

V2) and