An oldie on Blocksize and Performance?

From: Ross Mohan <postmaster_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 22:40:36 -0400

Skip this if you've been around this block.......<pun>

....I thought i was, but guess not, my certainty is fading....

I have a small-reasonable sized db to look after that was built at 16k blocksize
(not my brainstorm) It's largely OLTP and some ad hoc reporting. Up to 1000
concurrent users.

Questions:

  1. event "buffer busy waits" only occurs when I want to *write* and block that is already in XCUR mode, or being flushed to disk. True or False?
  2. The cache buffer chains latch will be grabbed when cloning a block. True or False?
  3. upping freelists will only reduce INSERT contention. True or False?
  4. There is no direct tunable for the cache buffer chains latch. True or False?

I think the answers are all TRUE,but would certainly be interested in your experiences.....thx.

Also, I am *especially* interested in your experiences and knowledge with and about mucking
with latch_spin_count.....I am sleeping too much, you see.....

TIA Ross

(especially good answers worth a burger and brew in the Washington area...)