Re: Help - Three Memory Questions

From: Bass Chorng <bass_at_octel.com>
Date: 7 May 1999 21:58:06 GMT

kal121_at_yahoo.com wrote:
: First, is there a data dictionary view that allows you to see how much
: sort_area_size is being used by a given user? I've observed that
: sort_area_size isn't actually eaten up until a user starts doing sorts. It
: would be interesting to see the sort_area_size usage in real-time.

: Second,
: how much memory does Oracle8 Server program for Windows NT use? This is NOT
: including the SGA. I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere.

: Third,
: how much memory does each user session use?
: There's the pga and sort_area_size, but what else?
: How big is the pga - in general (my guess in around 500K?)

: http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

I am not sure my answer is right but my understanding is sort_area_size is part of pga and you can't really know how much is being used for sorting. You will be allocated with sort_area_size or sort_area_retained_size but you really can not figure out the usage within it.

As to figure out how much memory a session uses you can query v$sesstat get the sum(value) of statistic# 15 and 20 ( pga, which already includes sort_area_size, and uga ).

There is no general size. It varies - depending how much ram the process needs.

-Bass Chorng
 Lucent Technologies Received on Fri May 07 1999 - 16:58:06 CDT