Re: what does DBA do?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 12:43:26 -0400

Hi,

I don't know where the following came from, but I think it does a good job of describing what a DBA does.

WHAT EXACTLY IS A DBA?
The position of Database Administrator -- DBA for short -- means many things to many people. In a small development shop the duties are much broader than in a highly stratified major corporation. Whether a company is doing development or adopting a third part package will also determine the needs of the DBA position. Knowing what is expected of the position and knowing how the position envisioned fits within the company hierarchy is critical. In "ORACLE 8.0 Administration and Management" I list the following as a list of DBA job functions:

  1. Installing and upgrading the ORACLE Server and application tools.
  2. Allocating system storage and planning future storage requirements for the database.
  3. Creating primary database storage structures (tablespaces) once developers have designed an application.
  4. Creating primary database objects (tables, views, indexes) once application developers have designed an application.
  5. Modifying the database structure, as necessary, from information given by application developers.
  6. Enrolling users and maintaining system security.
  7. Ensuring compliance with Oracle License agreements.
  8. Controlling and monitoring user access to the database.
  9. Monitoring and optimizing the performance of the database.
  10. Planning for backup and recovery of database information.
  11. Maintaining archived data on appropriate storage devices.
  12. Backing and restoring the database.
  13. Contacting Oracle Corporation for technical support.

regards

Jerry Gitomer