Re: Oracle8 Partitioning

From: <acedba_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 13:24:30 GMT

Moorthy:

Don't bother with exchanging partitions. It's too much work. Just load your data using SQL*Loader in DIRECT mode. It will slap the data into the database and then rebuild all the indexes for that partition at the end. No need to disable indexes or use EXCHANGE. Just make sure your data is clean (no duplicates) or the index rebuild will fail and you'll have to truncate the partition and start over.

When you add a new partition for a new month, first of all change the default tablespace for each index as such: alter index INDEX1 modify default attributes tablespace NEW_IDX1_PARTITION; alter index INDEX2 modify default attributes tablespace NEW_IDX2_PARTITION; ... and so on for each index on the table.

Now when you add the partition, each new index will get put in its proper tablespace.

Angie