Re: 1.Create new schema? 2. Databases on a different drive?

From: Mikele <notreally_at_me.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 21:07:09 -0400

Hello,

First, when you create a user in Oracle, you create a schema. Think of user and schema as being the same thing.
eg:
CREATE USER user01
IDENTIFIED BY password
DEFAULT TABLESPACE usr
QUOTA 10M ON usr
QUOTA 5M ON temporary
PROFILE default

creates a schema called 'user01'.
When you connect to Oracle as that user, and you build Oracle objects (tables, views, sequences, indexes) you build objects in that schema.

Second, the Oracle home(s) is more about where the Oracle software is stored than where the Oracle data files are. You can place the data files anywhere you want, regardless of the Oracle home. I suggest you look into a thing called the Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA). The OFA specifies the correct place for all the Oracle software

Good Luck

Mikel