Re: Help please: Row chaining issues

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 09:10:47 +1000

Rob Ellis <rob.ellis_at_cognos.com> wrote in message news:3731A750.902C607E_at_cognos.com...
> I suspect that 'chained' rows includes both rows that have been migrated

No. Rows that have grown in size after an update. Tipically, when a column is NULL
and later on gets populated with a value. Use PCTFREE to control this. PCTUSED won't be as useful.

> and rows that are chained simply because some rows are too big to fit
> into our 4k database block.

Quite possible. Nothing can be done other than increasing the block size (or re-designing the tables/rows).

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto