Re: Oracle 8i?

From: JEAN BENOIT MORLA <jbmorla_at_calva.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 22:36:41 GMT

I'm so sorry to disagree.
I've just been DBA on NT4 and 7.3.2, yes the one with the memory leaks.
All I had to do every day was to check that the nightly exports had gone fine on the 20 4 gigas database I had to herd. Of course I NEVER managed to get sqlnet to work so I had to restart each OEM utility every time I wanted to do anything, but that was not too much stress.
The rest of the time I enjoyed bio kiwis, ten pin bowling, cardiotraining and birds watching. I lost 17 kilograms in three months as Oracle NT DBA!!!
Now I'm learning perl because kix32 is not freely available, but given the choice I'll pick NT anytime versus UNIX. It's all those keyboard-happy tekkies with root privileges you find in the Unix jungle I'm worried about. With NT, nothing works (users, privileges, sharing, networking), so the tekkies stay at bay, because if they touch anything they get burnt. So as a DBA you're quite lonely, there is just you and your database on the system, the way it was designed for in the first place.

jbmorla_at_calva.net