Re: Oracle 8i - books and references

From: JEAN BENOIT MORLA <jbmorla_at_calva.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 22:21:25 GMT

On Tue, 4 May 1999 14:28:22 +0100, "Michael B." <mboerner_at_i1.net> wrote:

>I am interested in Oracle and parallel servers on Linux, so I have ordered a
>copy of Oracle 8i with Parallel Server Option.
>
>What books do I need to get started? How many (if any) of the expensive
>Oracle books do I need?
>
>I need to install to Linux and to install parallel server properly. Which
>books (if any) would help with that?
>
> Will the docs (if any) that come with the Oracle 8i be sufficient? I tend
>to think not.
>
>Are the Oracle books worth the money?
>
>Michael

The best computer book I have ever found is the one I'm studying PERL 5 with at the moment, it's by David TILL (S&SM). (Next in the list are Robert Lafore C manual and Al Stevens C Toolset manual) The idea is that the learning curve is very gentle, there are lots of Q&A and exercises and scripts and no nonsense.
O'Reilly books tend to patronize and look down on you from the chairman's desk...
Avoid Koch or Feuerstein like plague!
Oracle top author is Kevin Loney. If Kevin could be hired by S&SM to write the ultimate 3 Oracle 8 manuals (beginners, operational and certified for instance) mankind as the whole would greatly benefit. Until zen, you might want to look at the oramag website where they have a nice collection of tips & scripts, and related links. Also try ioug.org website and their Select magazine. Oracle knowledge is very precious and one has to sweat for the nuggets...
jbmorla_at_calva.net Received on Thu May 06 1999 - 17:21:25 CDT